Photo by Lesly Juarez on Unsplash
These days, there's a lot of talk about being mindful. What does it mean to be mindful? Well for starters, it means being non-judgmental. It also means being aware of other's emotions, being kind to one another, and most importantly, paying attention to our own actions. Mindfulness is a lot of things. Practicing mindfulness is much like obtaining a certificate or degree for a certain job, it takes a lot of work and studying.
Although we are all human and are bound to make mistakes, practicing mindfulness can provide you with the "proper education" so to speak. Setting your mindset to think positively can give you a healthier aspect on life and in return, it allows you to operate in a kind and respectful manner. Being mindful means being able to understand other's perspectives through their eyes.
So, how do you stay calm when there's so much chaos around you? The answer – practice mindfulness.
Yes, we're all human and of course, naturally we can lose our direction and even lose our cool at times, but that is OKAY. It would be considerate if we could all practice mindfulness. I’m not saying you have to be the purest of them all, but in the long run, learning how to be kind to others will make you feel like a good person. Also, you just never know what a difference your kindness can make in someone else's life.
Below is a list of 8 simple things that you can do to be mindful.
1. Be grateful. When you wake up, thank the universe for everything you have instead of thinking about what you don't have. Think of those who have nothing and what they would give to be in your shoes at this very moment. Appreciate what you have been blessed with every single day.
2. Stay calm. If you find yourself losing your cool, take a moment to breathe until you are calm and then continue on. The one thing people get caught up in is the drama of life. Instead of focusing on all the negative going on, focus on the positive. Look around you, enjoy the little things.
3. Treat your body well. Kick start your day with a full glass of water, so you can give your body the energy that it deserves. Eat healthy, but also don’t deprive your body of those decadent desserts. Eat in moderation. Look in the mirror and tell yourself you love what you see.
4. Take it easy. Take your time when doing things, stop to appreciate the beautiful things around you. Don't be in a rush to complete things, that's how mistakes occur. Do one thing at a time.
5. Think before you speak. Think about what you are about to say. Consider if what you are about to say is in a mature and unhurtful way. You can never take back your words, so think wisely before you speak.
6. Don’t take your anger out on others. Just because you are having a bad day, doesn’t mean everyone else needs to go through it with you. Learning how to control your anger is an excellent tool to find peace within yourself. No one wants to be around an angry individual, so don't portray yourself as one.
7. Always be kind. You just never know what someone else is going through in their life, so please be kind. Don’t forget that others have feelings too. If someone is rude to you, there may be a reason as to why they are acting the way they are acting, but it doesn’t mean that you have to be rude in return. Your kindness could be the key that they need at that moment to amend their behaviour.
8. Listen. Sometimes, all someone needs is for you to listen to them. If you have a loved one going through something, don't offer advice unless they ask you. Just simply listen and make it known that you are there for them no matter what. [if !supportLineBreakNewLine] [endif]